4.03.2012

Strawberry Shortcake Torte

So, I made this little gem almost a week ago, and I just haven't gotten around to blogging about it.  Last night I went down to Lexington for the NCAA National Championship game.  Holy cow. It was insane.  Massive and massive and massive amounts of people.  People hanging from trees, on top of roof tops, jumping from houses, baby dolls crowd surfing (my personal favorite), the craziness goes on. Oh, and UK won the National title.  Sounds ridiculous. Like why would I want to be a part of something like that?  Good question. But it was a whole bunch of fabulousness.  I've never been so happy with a spontaneous decision to do something.  Definitely an experience I won't forget.  SOOOOO needless to stay, it's 9:30 p.m. and I haven't ventured too far away from my bed today. So. tired. So as I'm laying here, I mustered up the strength to blog.

Ingredients:
Unsalted butter, for pan
8 extra-large eggs - room temperature & separated
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons sifted baking powder
1 pint heavy cream (I used heavy whipping cream because that's what we had)
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for work towel
1 quart strawberries, washed, dried, and hulls removed

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line a rimmed 15-by-10-by-1-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper; set aside.
-In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar together until light in color, about 1 minute; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Add cake flour and baking powder; stir until well combined.
-In the bowl of an electric mixer (with the whisk attachment), beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into flour mixture.
-Pour cake batter in prepared pan and spread evenly.  Bake until cake springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.


-Meanwhile, set 4 strawberries aside for garnish. Thinly slice remaining strawberries. Place heavy cream in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment; beat on medium speed. Slowly add remaining teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Continue beating until soft peaks form. Set half of the whipped cream aside. Gently fold sliced strawberries into remaining half; set aside.
-Just like the other rolls I have made in the past, lay a clean kitchen towel flat on a work surface with one of the short ends facing you. Generously sprinkle dish towel with confectioners' sugar. Flip cake onto towel, remove baking sheet, and peel off parchment paper. Using the dish towel, roll cake away from you; let cool. (about an hour)
-Unroll cake. Evenly spread strawberry whipped-cream mixture over surface of the cake and re-roll. Transfer cake to a serving plate and evenly spread top and sides of cake with reserved whipped cream. Place the 4 whole strawberries on top for garnish! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Is homemade whipped cream really that much better than store bought? I've always wondered since I've never made my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I think so! Especially since it's so quick (like 3 minutes) and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete