3.04.2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Whipped Cream Cake. Oh yes.

Aren't Sundays wonderful?  There's just something lazy about them.  Wake up, go to church, eat breakfast, lay around.  The end.  I mean, it is the day of rest so I'm just following what the Big Guy said.  Although, I did go shopping today, and spent more than I would have liked on WORK clothes. GAH!  On the other hand, I received $$$ back by demanding my shipping & handling expenses to be refunded.  I'm such a doll to deal with.  And last, but certainly not least, I whipped (no pun intended) up a Lemon Poppy Seed Whipped Cream Cake on this lazy Sunday afternoon.  This may be one of my favorite recipes I've tried!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 Eggs
1 cup + 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup cake flour (or you could use 2 cups all purpose)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or 350 degrees if using a dark pan)
-Butter/Flour a fluted pan/bundt pan
-Whisk together the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl until combined.  Set aside.
-Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in the poppy seeds and lemon zest into the flour mixture.  Set aside.
-Whip the cream on medium until cream thickens and forms stiff peaks.
-While still whipping, pour the egg mixture into the cream.  (it will become a mayonnaise-like consistency.)
-Best the sugar into the mixture until mixed.  Turn off.
-Fold the flour in 2 batches.  Mix well until all flour is combined.
-Stir in the oil and lemon juice.

--Pour into greased pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean!

*And for the glaze on top I just mixed about 2 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream that was leftover.  If the consistency isn't how you would like it, just add one of those three ingredients as needed.  Eye balling this would be your best bet.

3 comments:

  1. mmm. I'm going to try this one Sarah. John loves lemon. Thanks for the recipe. :-) I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! It's so light and fluffy. Just made it yesterday afternoon, and there's only about 3 pieces left. Goes quick! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    So I made your lemon poppy seed cake with andrew this weekend and we both really enjoyed it! I was surprised how light it was for a lemon poppy seed cake, I've never had it like that before, so it was nice to be that light especially in the warm weather! Andrew said it was a good lemon flavor and not to overbearing,I personally would of liked a bit more lemon flavor to the cake. We also added more than just a tablespoon of lemon juice to the icing cause we couldnt really taste the lemon. But besides that it was really good and Im about to have another slice now :)
    What should be your next recipe that we try!?

    ReplyDelete