5.15.2014

The Tale of Making Crepes

It's been a little over 2 months since I last posted and SO much has happened since then. I finally graduated from pastry school AND I got my first, full time job as a Baker at Belterra Park.  Life has been so dandy lately it's not even funny.  Summer is sneaking up on us (except today is 50 degrees and rainy).  Today I felt inspired.  I can't even pinpoint what exactly I was inspired to do, so I did a little bit of everything I enjoy doing.  I was off from work today and I had ZERO plans for today.  I woke up, took a shower, and hit the road with no plans really.  I headed out to Florence and I decided I would like to go to the Antique Mall.  So that's exactly what I did.  I swung by Starbucks out there (drive-thru, holla!), grabbed myself a (SKINNY!) Hazelnut Macchiato and headed to the Antique Mall.  It was seriously perfect. I got there right when they opened, no one was there, and I was able to mosey on down each aisle at my own pace and look at everything.  They also had classic rock playing on the radio which made the trip just that much more enjoyable.  Every time I saw something I liked I jotted down which booth it was in, and then when I finished going throughout the entire mall, I grabbed a basket and went back to reevaluate if I REALLY needed it. Some stuff I REALLY needed :D.  I bought 3 dessert plates to match the 4 I already had, a scalloped milk glass bowl, a retro ice bucket, and a retro "napkin holder".  I don't know if it's really a napkin holder, but we use to have one in our kitchen when I was growing up and it was pink.  I had to buy this green one for old time's sake.  All in all the shopping experience was exactly what I needed on a day like today.  When I came home I started making the crepes.  Now, I have to say, I don't understand why people don't cook dinner every night.  Sure, we all enjoy a meal out at a restaurant every now again, but to us, to my family, that's a treat.  As a family, it's a rarity if we go out to dinner at a restaurant once a year.  I guess we just genuinely enjoy cooking in the kitchen and eating as a family. Call us crazy!!! But seriously, don't you people like to know where your food is coming from??? It took me a little over an hour to make the crepes, caramel sauce, and whipped cream.  That's the same amount of time it would take to go out and order dinner and to eat it. It might take you even a little longer because you MIGHT make conversation with whomever you are with, but then again, you might just sit across the table from them and sign into every social media website there is and not look up from your phone. I made dinner tonight for $5.00/per person....and we ate so well! I made plain crepes with nutella filling, a fresh fruit compote, caramel sauce, honey whipped cream, and toasted hazelnuts.





Ingredients:
For the crepes:
1 1/2 Cups Milk
4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
3 Large Egg Yolks
1 1/2 Cup Flour - sifted
1 tablespoon Vanilla
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Salt

For the caramel sauce:
2/3 cup cugar
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the fruit compote:
6 oz raspberries
6 oz blackberries
12 oz blueberries
1 pint strawberries

For the whipped cream:
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 heavy whipping cream 

Directions:
For the crepes:
-Mix all dry ingredients together. Set aside. Mix all wet ingredients together. Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
-Oil a pan and heat on stove top. When heated, pour 1/4 cup of the batter and swirl around until base of pan is coated. Let it cook until the bottom in light brown.  Flip in pan, and cook the other side.  Slide it out of the pan onto a clean surface. Repeat.
-Once the batter is all gone, spread nutella on one side of the crepe and roll up.

For the caramel sauce:
-Put sugar and water in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until amber color. Remove from heat.
-Stir in heavy cream, vanilla, and salt.  Be careful because the heavy cream will splash.

For the fruit compote:
-Combine all fruit into a medium size pan, over low heat.  I added a splash of water and a couple tablespoons of sugar.  I heated the fruit up just to soften the fruit.

For the whipped cream:
-Whip the cream, honey, and powdered sugar on high until soft peaks form.  Be careful not to over whip. 

For the toasted hazelnuts:
-Place a cup of hazelnuts into a large pan over medium heat and heat until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment