1.24.2012

Heaven In My Mouth...Brown Sugar Pound Cupcakes w/ Brown Butter Glaze

So, you want to bake something and don't know what?  This was me this morning.  Well, I had my leftover buttermilk from the Pink Velvet Roll and I knew that the Brown Sugar Cupcakes called for buttermilk so I went for it.  It's a fairly easy recipe and it's based off of a recipe by my girl Martha.  She's a doll isn't she?!  Is she still in jail?......just kidding....







My mom insisted I used this plate :)

This made exactly 30 cupcakes when I did this.

Ingredients for Cupcakes:
3 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks of unsalted butter - softened
2 1/4 packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs - room temperature
3/4 buttermilk

Ingredients for Brown Butter Glaze:
1 stick unsalted butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2-4 tablespoons whole milk

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line cupcake tins with 30 paper liners.
-Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cream together the butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.  Add each egg one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one.
-Now, put the mixer to low.  Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions; alternating with the buttermilk and ending with dry ingredients.  Divide mixture among the cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full.

-Bake for 25 minutes.

While the cupcakes are baking, make the glaze....
Directions for Glaze:
-Heat butter in a small saucepan over low-medium heat until golden brown, this took me exactly 10 minutes.  With a spoon, scoop out the sediment that is left behind into a small bowl (don't need this).  Carefully pour the brown butter into a bowl.
-Add sugar, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of milk, and stir until smooth.  If the glaze is still thick, add more milk.  I ended up adding 3 tablespoons of milk.

-After the cupcakes are finished, put cupcakes on a wired rack over parchment paper.  Spoon the glaze over tops, and let stand until set & then serve!

***The recipe called for light brown sugar, next time I would use dark brown sugar for more flavor.  Also, instead of vanilla in the glaze I might change it out with 1 teaspoon of maple flavoring.***

1 comment: